Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, December 9, 2011

Tribute to a friend

This is Jake's grandpa Earl Wilcox. For the last three months I have been privileged to sit beside him and hold his hand every day after work. We shared stories about our lives with each other, told jokes, and talked about the world together. He passed away last Saturday and today we attended his funeral. I could write a paragraph about why he was special to me and why I loved him, but it can be summed up in one sentence. He was an amazing man.







My "other" family.

We had this blanket made for Jake's grandparents for their birthdays. 



He will be greatly missed, but I like to read this poem to remind myself that we didn't say goodbye today. It's more of a see you later.


I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.
Then someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!"
"Gone where?"
Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear the load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!" There are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: "Here she comes!"
And that is dying.
~Henry Van Dyke

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looked like a COLD day....ba-zur! I'm glad he isn't suffering anymore. I know he is so grateful for your love and support in his final days - I think you were probably the one keeping him alive. I'm sure it was the highlight of his day to see you. You'll probably never know how grateful he was for your sweet special friendship.

Mommala said...

I know how much you'll miss him Darcie, but I'm glad you got to say goodbye to him before you left Idaho. And your poem is exactly right!! I really loved that. Make sure you put that on my list of things I want at my funeral one day :o) You know, with my list of songs, slideshow, etc.....

Erica said...

I love that poem. It is beautiful and true.

Love you big sister.